Lots of great motorcycles have been produced under the Aprilia brand. This Italian manufacturer has an interesting history and promising future. Its story is an inspiring story of success.
History of Aprilia
This is an Italian company established after World War II in Noale, Italy. Cavaliere Alberto Beggio, its founder, initially focused on building cycles. His son Ivano Beggio had a passion for motorcycles, and the factory took a new direction after he joined Aprilia. The first bike constructed under the brand was a 50 cc motorcycle designed in gold and blue colors. Several specialists were engaged in building this motorbike. Three new models were Daniela, Colibrì, and Packi.
The name of first real motorcycle produced in 1970 was Scarabeo. Over the next several years, the company was designing, building, and introducing a range of new models, such as road bikes of 50-600 cc., the TL320 St 125 road bike, the STX, the ET 50, and others. One of the reasons why the brand became recognized was the great results of drivers using an Aprilia model during different championships, including the World Championship of 1978, when Ivan Alborghetti ended with sixth place. A year earlier the same racer reached the best result in the Italian championship.
Piaggio & C. SpA acquired the Aprilia motorcycle company in 2004 to create the world’s 4th largest motorcycle group. The company has an official website with the full product catalog.
The Most Popular Aprilia Models
There is a long list of bikes created by this motorcycle company. There are 37 models with several generations, 22 of which are still in production. Some of the latest models available for sale are described below:
- The latest generation of Aprilia Dorsoduro is SMV 900 Dorsoduro bike presented in 2017. This is a reliable model that comes with the 750 cc V-twin engine. It allows enjoying more response at low/medium rpms.
- The RSV4 RF bike was introduced in 2016. It has new suspension systems with adjustments in hydraulics/spring preload. - --- Thanks to the TTX shock absorber and new progressive linkage, the shock absorber’s reaction time is shorter.
- Aprilia Shiver 900 motorcycle has a new twin-cylinder engine ensures more torque and fun. The model comes with a top shelf frame and Ride-by-wire technology among other great features.
• In 2010, the Aprilia brand became the most successful racing brand with 276 victories;
• Aprilia motorbikes were ridden by different world champions, including Capirossi, Biaggi, Locatelli, Gramigni, Rossi, and Sakata;
• The company’s Moto designed by Philippe Starck was presented in Modern Art Museum in New York.